The sun is out, and the weather is so good, which is the perfect time to play disc golf. Disc golf is a fantastic sport that allows one to play on free courses to develop their golf skills over time. However, with various commitments such as family, friends, and work, it is hard to get time to play an 18 or 24-hole disc golf. This is why we have portable disc golf baskets. The portable basket is the easiest way to improve round scores by improving efficiency.
The portable disc golf basket can be installed in the backyard, the park, and the course. They are great for creating a personal golf course and bringing disc golf closer to you. The baskets have many features, like the permanently installed baskets but can be folded down and taken anywhere. To help you choose the right one, we have compiled a list of the best portable disc golf baskets available in the market.
Reviews on the Best Portable Disc Golf Basket
1. Innova DisCatcher Travel Basket
The Innova DisCatcher Travel Basket is ideal for travel. It can be installed on the beach, campsite, or in the backyard. The basket is collapsible and lightweight, with almost 15 pounds. Setting up is quick and easy and can be done in a single action. The targets come in blue, red, and yellow, accompanied by matching bags.
While the Innova DisCatcher Travel Basket is light, it withstands moderate winds and uneven surfaces as It anchors into the ground. The basket provides a simulation close to the permanent baskets. The regulation size and 12 steel chains seamlessly simulate the course target, making you improve your game from your comfort area.
- Well made
- Lightweight and compact
- Great price
- Head might whip when shooting
- The bag is not durable.
2. DGA Mach 2 Disc Golf Basket
The DGA Mach 2 Disc Golf Basket is the closest to a regulation target; it has two rows of chains that catch the discs. It is around six feet high from the top of the flagpole to the ground but is adjustable for smaller players. The diameter is 28 inches making it slightly wider than the conventional disc golf goal.
The portable basket is easy to set up thanks to the Mach 2-three quick release pins. It is relatively compact, and the galvanized steel makes it weather resistant. The DGA Mach 2 Disc Golf Basket stands on a circular platform, but the DGA can be anchored permanently in the ground.
- Two layers of chains
- Simple to set up
3. MVP Black Hole Pro 24-Chain Target Basket
The MVP Black Hole Pro 24-Chain Target Basket has 24 zinc-coated chains, 12 inner and 12 outers that reduce cut-throughs and pole-bounces. The target diameter is 25.5 inches, and the inner and outer chain diameters are 21 and 15 inches, respectively.
The MVP Black Hole Pro 24-Chain Target Basket weighs 25 pounds, making it sturdy enough, and the construction metal and all joints are welded perfectly. It takes roughly a minute to set it up.
- Easily assembled
- High-quality construction
- Remarkable realistic feel
- Limited color choice
- Quite pricey
4. DGA Mach Lite Portable Disc Golf Practice Basket
The DGA Mach Lite Portable Disc Golf Practice Basket weighs 25 pounds making it very lightweight and portable. The regulation size simulates the baskets found on the golf course. This basket folds up quickly and easily. The chains are zinc plated to resist rust and corrosion, making it very durable.
The DGA Mach Lite Portable Disc Golf Practice Basket is made from rugged nylon that is UV resistant. This makes it perfect for taking to the beach or practicing in any outdoor place.
- Durable and high-quality construction
- Carrying bag with shoulder strap
- Regulation size and realistic play
- Limited color choice
5. Yaheetech Portable Frisbee Basket
The Yaheetech Portable Frisbee Basket has a sturdy and lightweight frame. It has a nice broad base that offers perfect stability when hit by a powerful throw or in windy conditions. The 12 heavy-duty galvanized chains have been welded in a net-like formation, making it adequate to catch most shots. The Frisbee basket has a diameter of 24.4 inches, giving it ample room to catch any diameter disc.
The basket is easy and quick to construct, and takes lesser effort to take it down. It is super easy to carry around and store when not in use. The basket additionally has a yellow flag on the top increasing visibility when playing in the course.
- Easy to set up and disassemble
- A yellow flag on top
- Chain occasionally unhooks
Tips for Choosing the Best Portable Disc Golf Basket
When looking for the right disc golf basket, you have to ask yourself what you want. It would help if you always were alert not to end up with a poor-quality basket. Besides research, keep in mind the following factors.
- Type- disc golf baskets are primarily grouped into three main categories; tournament grade, recreational and foldable.
- Tournament grade- these baskets are designed to be used in official sanctioned tournaments. They are heavy-duty, made of stainless steel, and have a higher number of chains. They offer the best game experience but are expensive.
- Recreational- they are the most commonly found baskets designed for beginners, enthusiasts, and kids. They are lightweight, come with galvanized chains, and have a smaller number of chains.
- Foldable- these baskets are ideal for moving around. The basket folds down, reducing the size by a third, making it convenient for travel and storage. They are intended for beginners as they offer average performance in terms of catching discs.
- Material- baskets are usually made of either zinc-coated iron chains or stainless steel. The thickness of the chains is significant. The thicker the chain, the more durable it is. The base of the basket should also be strong and sturdy to remain footed. The heavier baskets have better build quality.
Number of Chains- The chain’s work is to catch the discs and prevent them from falling. Baskets have chains ranging from 12 to 26. The higher number of chains, the better the basket is. Please do not settle for a basket with less than 14 chains, as it always results in poor playability.
Disc golf may not be a trendy sport, but an equally entertaining sport that helps one lead an active lifestyle while having fun. Having your own portable disc basket allows you to practice and train however and whenever you want. The best part is they are not very expensive as we usually think. This guide will help you pick the right portable disc basket that suits your needs.